I have heard there are direct buses connecting the Munich airport with the city. These buses might have a luggage compartment in which you could put your boxed bicycle. You can check this: https://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/en/
A boxed bicycle is bulky luggage not approved for transportation on the S-Bahn. While you might get away with it you should rather not count on it. Staff will have the final say on each individual case.
The MVG – operating Munich’s S-Bahn – states (source, emphasis mine):
Für die Beförderung in unseren Verkehrsmitteln zugelassen
Übrige Sachen und Sperrgepäck
- Maximal zulässige Länge 90 cm
- Maximal zulässige Breite 80 cm
- Maximal zulässiges Gewicht 25 kg
- Sperrgepäck wird nur befördert, wenn dadurch keine weiteren Fahrgäste zurückgelassen werden müssen.
Roughly translating to:
Approved for transport on our vehicles
Other things and bulky luggage
- max length 90 cm
- max width 80 cm
- max weight 25 kg
- Bulk luggage is only carried if no other passengers need to be left behind.
So it would seem that a boxed bicycle is bulky luggage outside approved dimensions. By the same rules it would not be allowed to “just carry the empty box with me“.
Fahrräder ab 20 Zoll:
- Mitnahmemöglichkeit: Ja, in S- und U-Bahnen (außerhalb der Sperrzeiten)
Fahrrad-Tageskarte erforderlich: Ja
stets vorbehaltlich der Entscheidung des Fahrers!
or in English:
Bicycles from 20 inches
- Transportation option: Yes, in S-Bahn and U-Bahn (outside the restricted periods)
Bicycle Day Ticket required: Yes
always subject to the driver’s decision!
With limitations, you are allowed to take the bicycle on the train, but I would not count on being able to bring the box if the bicycle is still packed, since it exceeds with large margins the allowed luggage size (no side longer than 90cm). If the bicycle is packed in a box, it might even be somewhere between very difficult and impossible to get it down to the train platform, as it may not fit in the elevators or be practicable on the escalators.
Ignoring the box, you can bring unpacked bicycles onto the train (S-Bahn and subways) except during the following hours:
- Monday to Friday: 6 am to 9 am (except on public holidays)
- Monday to Friday: 4 pm to 6 pm (except on public holidays) – not during school holidays
It is not allowed to bring bicycles in buses and trams.
In addition to the regular ticket, you will need a day ticket for your bicycle at a cost of 3€.
16 Oct, 2023
5 Oct, 2023
12 Sep, 2023
8 Sep, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023
18 Aug, 2023